Tuesday, 19 August 2014

My nail care routine

At one point or another I am sure that every nail blogger has had some sort of post where they describe their nail care routine, well now it's my turn. My poor nails have been a bit neglected. The cold winter weather and drying acetone are not helpful in trying to maintain nicely moisturized cuticles and fingers. My last post on here showed how bad the skin around my nails is, so while giving them the TLC that they needed I thought it might be fun to document my process then blog about it.

I use many different products from scrubs to lotions from day to day. Most of the time what I reach for depends on my mood. My routine isn't always the same either, it depends on how bad my nails are and the pampering time I have available.



Today's first step giving my nails a quick fine to get rid of any rough edges, then it is on to the cuticle remover. I don't often do this step but my cuticles have gone a bit wild so it is time for a touch up. I am using Sally Hansen Problem Cuticle Remover.




After the cuticle remover has had time to do its job I push back my cuticles and remove any dead skin.

Next it's time to scrub! My all time favourite scrub is Rub Rub Rub by Lush. I really like this one because it has a lot of fine granules perfect for a deep, intense scrub.  I have gone through so many tubs of this stuff. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a good body or hand scrub. Yes, it is blue!



After scrubbing to my heart is content I rinse my hands using warm water. While rinsing my hands I also use a nail brush, just to scrub them a bit more.

Today I decided to use my little bottle of liquid gold because my poor little hands are in need of some intense moisture. Nutrimetics Vitamin Oil is by far the best oil I have ever used on my cuticles. Some of my other favourite products include Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter by Lush and Invite Vitamin E Cream.


I should have taken a before photo to compare with my after shot. So much better after some intense TLC.


Once my cuticle oil has had plenty of time to sink in it is time for a strengthening base coat. My base coat of choice is currently Herome Extra Strong Nail Hardener. I have previously used O.P.I. Nail Envy and this one is quite similar. I believe that your skin, hair, nails get used to products after using them for awhile and then don't work as well as when you first started using the product. That is partly why I swapped to this base coat. So far so good, hardly any breaks since I started using this strengthening base coat.



That is roughly my nail care routine. It changes depending on what I feel like using and how badly my nails and skin has been neglected, but the above mentioned products are some of my personal favourites.

What are some of your favourite products?

-Bettina