Sunday, 3 August 2014

Black Spotted by O.P.I.

It made my day when I stumbled across the very rare "Black Spotted" by O.P.I. at a discount perfume store in Charlestown Square. It gets better, it was also part of a 2 for $15 sale! For Australia that is an unheard of price in my experience. I nearly freaked out when I picked it up from one of the baskets and read the label on the bottom. I was expecting it to be "Black Onyx" but when I read "Black Spotted" I could hardly believe my eyes. I asked for a perfume test strip and tested it out. It started spotting and I started freaking out. The ladies at the shop had no idea about the "Black Spotted" polish and once I explained it to them they started looking though all the random O.P.I. baskets and putting them aside. To the best of my knowledge "Black Spotted" by O.P.I. was only released in Sephora shops in France. How it made it to Australia is beyond me.

I was so excited to get home and try it out. My first test was over 'Need Sunglasses?" by O.P.I.. I have heard that it is quite a tricky formula to work with and that it hasn't worked for everyone. I had heard that you need to use a very thin coat. You practically need to wipe all the polish off on the sides of the bottle as if you were using the brush brush technique. The formula is every runny, almost like water, and even though there was hardly any polish on my brush a little went a long way. I found it worked well when you went over the same spot a few times, very unlike using a crackle polish. Going over the nail a few times quickly spread out the polish and removed any excess polish allowing the oil and water effect to develop. I quite like the contrast of the black over the bright yellow, but it also reminds me of aging bananas. 

Lighting: In light box

Lighting: In light box

Lighting: In light box

For my next test I tried it over "Cherry Red" by Sally Hansen. I chose red partly because I like red, but also because I had seen swatches of it over red, and the tag on the bottle (which mine didn't have) is shown over red. I love it over the red, it has a dark vampy look to it. I found that if you try to apply too much of the polish it will crack in between the spotting. It's a bit of a tricky formula to get used to. 

Lighting: in light box

Lighting: in light box

Lighting: in light box

Lighting: in light box


I really like this polish. It is a bit tricky to apply and I think it is one of those polishes that takes a very light hand and a bit of practice. As for clean up I found that it was more difficult to remove than normal polish, even with acetone. But full removal was fine, it was just neatening up around my cuticles where it didn't wipe of as easily. I love the finished look, much cooler effect compared to a crackle polish. Since it is a such rare polish and I found it for such a good price I did pick up an extra which I am thinking of including in a giveaway some time soon. 

If you have tried this polish before I would love to hear your thoughts on it!

-Bettina